Tuesday, 15 May 2012


The main functions of assessment: a reflection

Assessment has been one of the key areas of this subject. I have chosen to include this essay in the portfolio simply because it summarises the basic components of assessment, of which I knew very little about at the time, but I could have chosen any of the assignments from this module. However, I feel I have learnt a great deal about the importance that assessment has in teaching, an aspect to which I had paid little attention. I see now that assessment is king in teaching and our whole teaching unit and methodology is based on how we propose to assess our students, to make their time in our hands as productive as possible. Previously, I had planned my lessons according to what the textbook dictated, though I have never followed a textbook religiously, and then designed the final exam accordingly. I never took into account the need for formative assessment, perhaps I did so but I was unaware of it. I certainly did not give formative assessment such importance as it should have in the learning process. When I designed my unit of work for the Practicum, three areas of assessment (formative, summative and assessment to improve future teaching) took on an important role, and also altered the way in which I taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment